WELCOME


Rodmond - RT - RTtheRealest

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything." James 1:2-4

"Whatever you do in life, make sure you follow your heart. Nobody can see your vision like you can see it."

A personal blog, an unfiltered and uncensored place of expression, a personal journal.

EST 12/15/2009

Monday, December 21, 2015

Guest Writer #13: Disconnect

Hey friends, so with Christmas being RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER (doesn't feel like it eh), thought I'd do something different...not just for today, but for the week. My Christmas present to you guys this year is a WEEK OF GUEST POSTS. I'm super grateful and appreciative to the people who accepted my invitation to write a guest post on my blog. I love the guest posts cuz it gives you something different, different insight and perspective than what I usually write and talk about. It's funny cuz I don't ask people randomly...some are my friends of course, but even then the people that I ask...I genuinely believe they have something dope to say or share, but with that being said, here's day 1 or a full week of guest posts, enjoy!

Guest Writer #1: SpeakingMyMind
Guest Writer #2: Letters To You
Guest Writer #3: TC
Guest Writer #4: Anonymous Queen B
Guest Writer #5: Someone You Used To Know
Guest Writer #6: Heartlocked
Guest Writer #7: LG Slayer 231
Guest Writer #8: TC
Guest Writer #9: G. Ho
Guest Writer #10: Golden Frieza
Guest Writer #11: Ghost Writer
Guest Writer #12: Pink Precariat


I’m the middle child in a family of three. My brother is a year younger than I am, and my sister is the eldest, being five years older than me. I’m in the middle – and yes, cue that Jimmy Eat World song

Growing up, I remember my mom always telling me, “All I have are the three of you, so make sure you take care of each other when you’re growing up. All you’ll ever have is family, and they will always love you.” I remember being told these words, perhaps many times over and over again and they’re one of the values I’ve always held to be true. I remember back in high school, I was already in my sophomore year and my brother had just started his freshman year. Every day, for a month, I would walk by his locker to make sure he wasn’t eating lunch alone. I don’t think he ever realized that I did that, and most of the times he wouldn’t even see me walk past him - but I always did.

Family first - always.

Lately though, I’ve come to realize that the values about family I hold to be true aren’t always the values that I show to the world. Like the way that whenever the holidays come around, the only people I would ever make firm plans with are my friends. Like the last time I went on a vacation with my family was almost 8 years ago. And even as I am writing this, I am getting ready to leave to do some Christmas shopping with friends instead of staying home and playing with my dog with my mom. Even though I always find myself constantly thinking about them and how much I appreciate them and love them so deeply – my actions fall so far from the words. What’s the point of having these emotions if all we ever do is bottle up these truths and hold them in our hearts? It’s like having a voice and the ability to speak, but always just putting yourself on mute.

For most of us in our early or mid-twenties – how old are your parents now? At least fifty, right? Stop playing the hypocrite, Elaine – if you love them as dearly as you say you do, come home when they cook dinner. The dinner table, with all the laughter and the meals shared together and the jokes you make about your younger brother and his shenanigans - that is family. Take them out with you – show them the boardwalk that you love so much on Centre Island. Or sometimes, just bake cookies and try to watch those Chinese dramas with them, even though your Chinese comprehension itself is half-baked. There is a concept in physics, known as travelling at a constant velocity. When you are in such a state, your acceleration is zero and you experience nothing even though you are moving forward. However, as soon as something changes your velocity, you immediately feel that impact. Growing up, the presence and support of my family has always been there, as I moved at a constant velocity. But change is inevitable; one day that acceleration is bound to change. And when it does, I want to know that I have loved and have shown love with all that I am capable of. I don’t want to cry every time I write about my family and how much they mean to me. I don’t want to regret how I love them so much but always fail to show it. I want to live with the notion that life is meant for seeking those moments in amber – like the insects frozen for all eternity. I want to look for those amber moments of sheer happiness and laughter, and I want to build a collection of those moments with my family, the ones I have loved and will always love so dearly. For once in my life, I no longer want to feel this disconnect between my emotions and my actions.

*                            *                             *                            *                            *                             *                            *

I am The Fool from www.ofteninnocuous.wordpress.com. If you enjoyed my writing, be sure to check out my blog! Special thanks to Rodmond for featuring me on his blog The Best You Never Heard, and happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment